A few days ago, I made another trip to the Seattle Art Museum and I laid my eyes upon the "Thermometer" by Jasper Johns and I literally pointed and suddenly said "Jasper Johns!" because the art academy I've been working at (and been having a fab time at the same time) dedicated one of its summer camp projects to Jasper Johns' number art works! So I was like 'hey I know this guy!' Haha. So cool story bro of the day!
Some background info about Mr. Jasper J:
- He's an American contemporary artist.
- Was highly influenced by Pop Art.
- is known for working with numbers, prints, flags, stenciled words.
- was the first studio artists to receive the Presidential Medal of Freedom (right from the hands of President Obama in February 2011) since Alexander Calder about 35 years ago.
- Obama said about him: “It has been noted that Jasper Johns’ work, playing off familiar images, has transfixed people around the world...Like great artists before him, Jasper Johns pushed the boundaries of what art could be and challenged others to test their own assumptions. He didn’t do it for fame, he didn’t do it for success—although he earned both...As [Johns] said, ‘I assumed that everything would lead to complete failure, but I decided that it didn’t matter—that would be my life,’”
"Do something, do something to that, and then do something to that."
I'm loving those colorful, consistent yet unexpected lines.
"When something is new to us, we treat it as an experience. We feel that our senses are awake and clear. We are alive."
"I don't know how to organize thoughts. I don't know how to have thoughts."
"I have no ideas about what the paintings imply about the world. I don't think that's a painter's business. He just paints paintings without a conscious reason."
"To be an artist you have to give up everything, including the desire to be a good artist."
This was the painting, Thermometer, I saw at the Seattle Art Museum! Apparently, the thermometer in the middle protests to contemporary beliefs of warm and cool colors. Even as the temperature goes up, cool colors are still up there. So case in point, colors are whatever temperature you want them to be. Go out of bounds! What a rebel you were, Jasper.
looks like i was really excited?
There's the man (he was pretty good lookin' back in the day)
"As one gets older one sees many more paths that could be taken. Artists sense within their own work that kind of swelling of possibilities, which may seem a freedom or a confusion."
- Jasper Johns
- Jasper Johns
song of the moment -
yellow - coldplay (I feel like it's appropriate...)